Cleaning is an activity that has to be done (and regularly too!). Personally, I like to clean for both myself and the planet!.
Green cleaning doesn’t take as much effort as you’d think. In fact, in many cases it can help you to save a lot of money that would be otherwise spent on expensive cleaning chemicals and detergents.
Some of my best home cleaning tips that are green are:
1. Baking soda & vinegar. Instead of guzzling toilet cleaners down the drain, one of my best cleaning materials is plain old baking soda and vinegar.
Cleaning the toilet is fast and easy, simply sprinkle around the toilet with baking soda and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, pour vinegar on the sides, scrub with a brush and then flush the toilet after. This will clean and deodorize your toilet is a flash.
2. Vinegar is a great multi purpose cleaning solution. Simply mix 3 tablespoons of vinegar with a gallon of water and pour some of the mixture into a spray bottle. You now have a green glass cleaning solution! Simply spray your windows, mirrors and other glass covered objects and wipe with newspaper to avoid streaking.
3. Steam Cleaning. One of my favorite machines to use is my steam cleaner. These cleaners only use the water to create steam which can then be used to clean and disinfect almost any and every surface in your home.
I’ve found that carpet steam cleaners are excellent for removing stubborn spots and stains out of my carpets without having to use detergents to remove them.
4. Indoor air quality. To help with improving the indoor air quality of your home you can grow a few choice plants instead of spraying air freshener. Some of the best plants include: English ivy, pot mums, bamboo palm, peace lily etc.
5. Detergents. Instead of using “normal” dishwashing detergent I like to use green cleaning detergents like Method Smarty Dish Detergent or Ecover dishwasher tablets which I’ve found work really well and have a very low chemical content.
Just by observing these simple to action tips, you will not only save yourself $$, you will also help to save the planet!