by Holly Sanders
(Jacksonville, Florida, USA)
In case your house needs painting, then a home DIY paint job can be the perfect way to bring new life into your living space. Although many people think of painting as a job that requires a roller and a brush along with the choice of paint color, there are however some things to consider.
Just read on and see what is best fitted for your painting job with all the advantages and disadvantages:
* Matte finish – is known also as wall paint or flat finish presenting a non shiny appearance or a matte aspect. This one is great especially when trying to hide scratches, small bumps in the wall, or other sorts of imperfections.
* Eggshell finish – is presented with a gloss that makes walls easier to be cleaned.
* Satin finish – it is presented with a velvety aspect and gloss in it, making it good to be used on doors, windows, trim or ceiling. It can be used for kitchens, kids’ rooms, bathrooms as well as other areas involved in a lot of traffic. They can be cleaned on occasions and undertake a light scrubbing.
* Glossy – it is similar to plastic as it presents the reflective feature being good for furniture, cabinets and other settings that are more contemporary.
* Oil-based – these ones have better adhesion feature making them perfect for surfaces with several layers of material based on oil. It presents a long time for drying (up to 24 hrs), not to mention the additional time required for a second coat. To clean it one needs a strong thinner.
* Latex – is more popular than oil based paints because it is faster in drying and resistant to mildew. Everything that one needs for cleaning this material is soap and water.
All of the above are variations to choose from in accordance to other factors that you need to consider:
1. How often you want to clean the walls and how durable you need this paint to be. For instance, the walls that are exposed to much dust and steaming and require as such washing and cleaning more frequently, then the choice of a shine paint can be required.
2. Take into account the special walls inside your kids’ room. The satin finish or eggshell can be of a better choice, not involving paints that have odor or contain toxic ingredients.
3. Consider the finishing touch that brings a luxurious aspect for your walls surface. In case you go for the elegant home DIY painting with high gloss or shine you should count the uneven surfaces that can be easily highlighted if not enough sanding is applied for the walls areas.
4. Inexpensive costs should be another factor in choosing your homeDIY paint. For instance, go for white ceilings with a matter finish that is cheaper and doesn’t need cleaning.
If this is a home DIY project, make sure that you go for the right paint, hoping that this article helped you in this direction!