Homemade air freshener is a safe alternative to possibly toxic commercial air fresheners.
- To eliminate unpleasant cooking odors, distribute partially filled saucers of vinegar around the room or boil one tablespoon of white vinegar in one cup of water.
- Boil cinnamon and cloves for a fragrant smell. For ease of cleaning, make a cheesecloth bag to contain these spices, and boil the cheesecloth bag.
- Make your own potpourri from your favorite herbs and spices. Place the potpourri in a small basket or jar or in small sachet bags.
- Cover a fresh orange with whole cloves and hang anywhere you want a fresh smell. This also helps keep many insects away.
- Place pure vanilla on a cotton ball in a small saucer and place the saucer in your car or refrigerator to remove odors. Keep the cotton ball out of reach of children; most vanilla has high alcohol content.
- Place a partially filled saucer of baking soda on the refrigerator shelf. Replace every two months. Pour the contents of the used box down the drain to remove odors and keep the drain clean.
- To avoid or remove onion odors from your hands, rub white vinegar on your hands before and after slicing.
- Diffuse essential oils into the air. Learn to make aromatherapy air freshener.