by Eva Martinez
(Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA)
Fixer-upper homes constantly need a lot of work to increase their market value. What things should you do to really make the most out of your renovation efforts thus increasing the value of your fixer-upper homes?
• Pristine walls – Fixing up your walls is an inexpensive way to increase the value of your fixer-upper homes. You can do the paintjob yourself. Choose colors that will make the house “look expensive”.
• Renovate the bathroom – It is a well known fact that a great bathroom will increase the value of any house!.
Homebuyers tend to take a look at the bathroom first so focusing on renovating this part of the house is a must. Additional bathrooms in the house can further increase its value.
• Renovate the kitchen – Aside from the bathroom the kitchen is another part of the house that can increase its real value. Homebuyers, especially the ladies, take this as a major plus factor when considering buying a home.
• Improve your landscaping – Taking care of the lawn and making it look attractive will add to the value of your fixer-upper homes. You don’t need to hire professional landscapers to improve its appearance, just a little hard graft!.
• Don’t overlook the garage, closets and laundry – These three parts of the house are most of the time overlooked. As simple as they may seem, they can increase the value of the fixer-upper homesbecause it adds convenience.
Bedrooms with spacious closets are always attractive. Garage and pathway maintenance is also important. Lastly, a house with a laundry room will also increase its value.
• Maintain windows – Cleaning your windows every now and then will help maintain their good condition. This won’t increase the house’s value but it will help in maintaining its current value & appearance.
• Change carpets – Nothing is more unappealing than dirty and stinky carpets. Carpets tend to acquire a lot of dirt and regularly cleaning old carpet will do the trick!.
What you want to do is change the entire carpeting for the house. This will make a big difference.
• Remove clutter – Throw away excessive things that are eye sores. Excessive junk can make a house less appealing and lower its real value.
In general, you should fix up the exterior first because this is what people see first and it will give them an impression that your house is a keeper and is of high value.
This doesn’t mean that you should ignore the interior. Bottom-line, the most important part of the house that you should focus on to increase a fixer-upper homes value are the bathroom and the kitchen.
Click here to read more about how to improve property value