1diyht.com

10 Household Things That Will Kill A Dog

Please Follow & Share:
RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest

Are you aware that your home contains everyday things that will kill a dog? Dogs are curious animals and, as omnivores and natural scavengers, can get into and eat just about anything.

Make sure to keep the following common household items out of your dog’s reach. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any of these items, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Antifreeze:
Common antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is toxic and kills many pets each year. It is appealing to your dog because it smells and tastes sweet.Symptoms of toxicity include seizures, vomiting, stumbling, and lethargy, which lead to kidney failure.

Chocolate:
Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine, which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate are especially dangerous. While it usually takes a large amount of chocolate to kill a dog, poisoning and death can occur even if smaller amounts ingested. Signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination, and increased activity, which can progress to seizures and unusual heart rhythms.

Bleach:
Keep all products containing bleach out of your dog’s reach. Symptoms of bleach poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Do NOT induce vomiting if you suspect your dog has ingested bleach.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol):
As little as two regular strength acetaminophen tablets can kill a small dog. Dogs do not have the proper liver enzymes to break down acetaminophen. Signs of toxicity include drooling, lethargy, and abdominal pain.

Watch Batteries:
If your dog eats a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are also toxic to dogs. Symptoms of toxicity include drooling, lack of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy.

Moth Balls:
Moth balls contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures. Ingestion of moth balls can lead to liver failure.Symptoms of moth ball poisoning include vomiting and seizures. If your dog has consumed moth balls, do NOT induce vomiting.

Fabric softeners and other detergents:
All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, burns to the mouth, drooling, muscle weakness, and even coma. Do NOT induce vomiting if your dog has ingested any detergent.

Mouthwash:
Mouthwash can contain boric acid, which is highly toxic to dogs.Symptoms of mouthwash poisoning include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma. Other household items containing boric acid include contact lens solution or denture cleaner.

Peach Pits:
The pits and the seeds of most fruits are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.

Household Plants:
Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy. Symptoms of poisoning caused by eating toxic plants include vomiting and central nervous system excitement. Many of these plants are fatal if ingested.

Other potentially toxic things that will kill a dog include grapes, raisins, onions and onion powder (in many types of dips), alcoholic beverages, dried fruits, salt, and yeast dough.

With diligence, you can help prevent your pet from getting into things that will kill a dog. As always, if you think your dog may have eaten something dangerous, contact your veterinarian immediately or take your dog to the closest emergency clinic.

Updated: November 11, 2012 — 3:13 am

Site Disclaimer: This site is designed for educational purposes only, if you click on a link and make a purchase I will make a small commission. Furthermore, all videos and photos on this site are provided by 3rd parties. We take no responsibility for the content on any website which we link to, please use your own discretion while surfing the links.

Frontier Theme